Friday, July 06, 2007

Provincetown Blues....by Marcia Mello


No, not really, you don't go to PTown to get blue..and it is not a town one associates with the blues, I guess...

So here I was, a couple of days ago...enjoying my veggie burger with friends at the Euro-Cafe in PTown, sitting on their patio dining-space...when what do I hear but distinct strains of a guitar being plucked to some classic blues tunes...

I was sure I was hearing things...who could possibly be playing delta blues in the midst of flashy, garish Provincetown...?

Yet, there it was, unmistakeable, and I had to rush downstairs to the road where I found a busker on a roadside bench, strumming away twangy blues, recreating songs by Blind Blake, Charlie Patton, Blind Willie McTell etc...

Marcia Mello is a slight woman with a thin voice, almost weepy, wispy in fact but she plays a mean guitar...thanks, Marcia

No comments: