Saturday, February 18, 2006

Like being in Fangorn Forest...

I decided to go for a walk in the local Mine Falls Park yesterday afternoon, without having paid heed to the weather condition ("Storm Watch: Gusty Winds"). Just as I entered the park, it started raining and the winds picked up. I manfully continued to walk on, like some intrepid explorer, leaning into the wind and all...

I had the hood of my jacket over my head to protect me from the rain yet I could hear this roar coming from somewhere...I looked up and saw the tall maples and conifers swaying, but not swaying and being whipped around continuously as in some furious storm -- the wind seemed to come amongst them at intervals, almost as if there was some sort of a human wave going around in the woods of the park...so there was always a huge roar somewhere in the distance, a howl, and then all of a sudden it would catch the trees around you and they would lurch and sway and there would be this funnel of an eerie sound...many a time I felt like breaking into a run and getting out of there as quickly as I could because it was all too scary, like being in the midst of some unearthly power, but managed to control myself and my dignity...

Had I known that a tree had fallen on a truck that day and crushed the occupant, maybe I would have made the run for my life...

No comments: